How to stay on track with your health and wellbeing at your favourite restaurants.
Firstly, I believe that you should enjoy food without any feelings of guilt. I often go to beautiful restaurants and eat exactly what I feel like, but I also think that it’s important that you only limit it to once or twice or twice a week and definitely not all of the time.
When eating out, try to consider the quality of place that you have chosen to dine. I try to choose restaurants that have fresh, quality produce and a great reputation for taste and nutrition.
I don’t believe that you should lower your nutrition standards just because the food isn’t coming from your own kitchen.
Here are a few guidelines to help you stay on track when eating out:
- Try to skip the entree and just order a main course. If you are really hungry, try ordering a salad or fresh juice.
- Try to choose meals that a healthy side can be added to, such as a fish or lean steak. Ask for it to be grilled or steamed, ensuring it is healthy but still delicious.
- When choosing a side, opt for green foods such as spinach, salads, broccoli, beans or brussel sprouts. Try to avoid things like fries, creamy mashed potato or anything drenched in butter.
- If your meal comes with a sauce, ask for it to be served on the side so that you can control how much is used.
- If you are dining out an Italian restaurant, choose tomato based sauces over cheese or creamy ones. Avoid the garlic bread and go easy on the Parmesan cheese.
- If you are eating Asian food, look for stir fried vegetable- based or steamed dishes and avoid the fried foods and sauces that are laden with salt, cream or fats.
- If you feel like dessert, try to choose the lightest option such as a sorbet or fruit based dish.
- If there’s something on the menu that you can’t resist, ask someone to share it with you and stop at a couple of spoonfuls.
Remember to make the healthiest choices possible when eating out, but also relax and enjoy your time with family and friends. Just make sure that you get back into your healthy eating the very next day.